Rank Calculation for Vector Tables

04-25-2018 07:02 AM
Labels (1)
ShannonWhite1
New Contributor III

There is a RANK tool in Raster but often as I am teaching GIS to others Ioften find they want to create a rank of a field  (say they are creating habitat suitability models or other data,  I find that they want to create a field to rank something like Area_km2 for their final outputs) and then symbolize it. 

While you can sort that field, that only gives a visual of column.  Most folks who ask about how to do this want to symbolize their data further for cartographic layouts.

The thought of this tool would be that you could choose a field (or field), choose a sort option and then output a new field called "Rank" to provide a ranking order of 1 to x.   Normally the solution I provide is external to ArcGIS -- Download the table, open in Excel, Sort Ascending/Descending, Add a column called rank, add 1 to the top most, then add a formula of the cell with 1(i.e. C1)  so C1+ 1, drag that formula down through the data, Save as CSV and then rejoin the data.  Most of the folks I work with are not comfortable with editing/writing scripts.  I think this would be a fairly easy and useful tool for a number of folks.

3 Comments
DanPatterson_Retired

I assume you are using PRO, not an esri incarnation, but check out Table Tools, it is there

ShannonWhite1

Thanks Dan.  While I have Pro on my computer, the computer lab and computers across our campus are still in Desktop. The student computers are very locked down. 

Glad to know there is that feature in Pro, I hadn't come across it yet. 

Shannon

LeilaJackson1

I have not been able to find this tool in Pro that allows you to rank records. I have a Table and would like to rank records by Score within Watershed. It would be great to have a tool that allows you to rank records for the whole table or feature class, as well as allowing you to rank records within 1-3 other attributes.