Enable Split Raster tool to use field to create base name

03-27-2018 02:13 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

The current version of Split Raster tool allows you to assign a base name prefix which it then increments from zero. This is not actually that helpful as you lose the connection with the polygon that clipped it. For example in the UK our national grid splits up into 100Km cells which have a two letter code. This is important to us Brits! If I split up a raster covering the UK I end up with for example r0, r1, r2 ,r3. I would rather see rSY, rSX,rTV,rTQ....

The tool allows you to choose a FeatureClass to split by and a couple of other related options. 

My idea is to add a new parameter that allows you to select a field in your splitting polygon layer which would be used to build the output raster dataset name. In my example it would be a text field holding the two letter grid cell code.

A work around to this is to abandon Split Raster and use an iterator feeding into a clip tool. The BIG disadvantage of this is that you lose the tools ability to parallelize the problem and take advantage of model multi-core machines.

Adding such a parameter to the Split Raster tool is such an obvious addition especially for Pro and ideally ArcMap.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
ChristopherHanni1

Bonus: add a thumbnail, footprint shape, and zip file package output from zonal grid naming system. 

DavidPike

It seems like a big oversight not to have this exposed as a parameter.

ChristopherHanni1

I just made a python script that does this, uses arcpy and gdal for thumbnail generation.  Manipulating tif bands and band stacking is terrible in ArcPro too or I'm missing something. l'm using gdal.translate() from now on to swap bands around.