Layerlist - have an 'ONLY turn this layer on' option next to Layer checkbox

12-21-2017 09:50 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

the layerlist should have an "Only" option next to each layer, like by Airlines on SkipLagged.com.  So it turns only that layer on and shuts others off. And perhaps the radio button idea others have proposed as well. 

Again and again the problem with viewers is too many layers on, slow and confusing to users.  Also needs partial checkboxes like ArcEarth to indicate only some layers in a parent group are on.

This is is one of the most visible things to end users for Esri's entire product portfolio- how the layerlist works.

1 Comment
by Anonymous User

Anyone interested? This would alleviate the issue where some of my users turn a lot of heavy layers on and the viewer and service slow to a crawl for EVERY one not just that user, because the server is hung. We have big hardware and I'm continuing the research ways around performance bottlenecks but even with more pools, more RAM, etc etc it is still a programmer's balance of letting users have control vs. maintaining performance for everyone. I think this would help encourage users that are less familiar with the notion of a layer list to use our general-purpose viewer more efficiently. I would show them this feature in initial training, and I think it would be popular and be intuitively understood readily. Moxie & WAB Team, thoughts? This could apply to ArcGIS Online and even the layerlist in the basic webmap viewer, also. And any other viewers with ToC layerlist widgets.  This, and also making the checkboxes radio buttons as a programmer's API option.  If not... maybe I can shoehorn this into my 'metadata dialog' custom version of the Esri layerList. Along with CSS for partial checkbox.