Merge the My ESRI licence site with ArcGIS Online

11-22-2017 03:40 AM
DarrenTuckett1
New Contributor III

I recently had to install and licence a single use copy of ArcGIS Desktop Basic; an extension and also ArcGIS Pro. I was able to licence ArcGIS Desktop Basic and the extension for it very easily.

However I couldn't figure out how I get ArcGIS Pro to be licensed, as the licence key I had for ArcGIS Desktop Basic didn't work, since it had already been used.

The main route for licensing in ArcGIS Pro is named user but I wasn't sure how I link a named user to ArcGIS Desktop Basic singe use licence. After all how else would ESRI know that the single use licence we purchased was being used in ArcGIS Pro?

Turns out all the named user licences are held on ArcGIS Online rather than My ESRI and when you buy an ArcGIS Desktop Basic single use licence, it increments the number of ArcGIS Pro licenses available on the ArcGIS online portal by 1.

I think it would be helpful if both sites were merged to make licensing easier to understand and follow. ArcGIS Pro licenses already exist on My ESRI if you are using concurrent licensing. We have 3 of those, so I was expecting all ArcGIS Pro licensing to be hold there and not elsewhere.

Incidentally the way it currently works means a different user could be using ArcGIS Pro to the user who is using ArcGIS Desktop Basic. Same applies for all single use versions of ArcGIS.

1 Comment
ColeAndrews

I can echo it was a headache when myesri was used to convert named user to single use for Pro by support, because then support was still going to arcgis online to try and authorize the streetmap premium extension for Pro and download the StreetMap .mpk files for Pro, both of which were locked out because arcgis said I didn't have a pro license. So the "licensing team" had to hand the case off to the "Pro team" because they didn't understand the issue. Resolution, several days later, was to also convert streetmap premium extension for pro to single use as well, then manually type it in as an extension since it's not listed as a Pro extension. Lastly, you had to go download the StreetMap .mpk's from myesri instead of arcgis online since arcgis says I dont have a pro license.

Perhaps if the error messages in AGO gave more description, that would have helped. The process was very circular, back and forth. Hope this helps the next person.

Also, I have asked 4 people at esri the difference between the streetmap .mpk's for Pro versus just using the streetmap FGDB in pro, and they haven't been able to answer clearly...but I digress...