Should have option to display disabled Python script parameters in ArcGIS Pro

Idea created by jgaiot on Nov 9, 2017
    In Product Plan
    Score20
    • jgaiot
    • edneprine

Hello,

I am testing some tools created in ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 in ArcGIS Pro 1.4. One nuisance I have come across is a change in behaviour when working with disabled parameters. In the help, it states the following:

When a parameter is disabled, it will disappear from view on the tool dialog box, and when reenabled, it will reappear. This effect is seen on several system geoprocessing tools such as the Add Field tool where the need for several parameters is dependant on the field type.

You can still manipulate them in the background using the validation tab, however, they are no longer displayed on the form. I understand this can be useful in some apps where you would like to keep the interface simple. But in some cases, having this ability would be very helpful in controlling user entry and data outputs which the user should be able to see. In some of the tools we have designed, there is a certain structure to our data products which we don't want altered by the user. But it was very handy to show these read-only outputs so they know what to look for when the tool is done - as these outputs serve as inputs to subsequent tools after they are QA/QC'd. This serves to streamline the workflow without the user having to enter anything but the study area they are working in.

Would it be possible to introduce an option to 'turn on/off' disabled parameters from the form display?

Thank you.