Make Web Map Public but not searchable

08-24-2017 10:11 AM
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

I recently ran into an issue where we were pushing out our crime data from a service in ArcGIS Online that is referencing a REST endpoint on our ArcGIS Server. I noticed that our crime web map had 200 + anonymous views even though we wanted the public to interact with the Crime Data from our Web App.

I would like for Web Maps and layers to be able to be shared publicly so that it can be referenced in a public app but have the ability to toggle on an off if we want the underlying data and web map to be searchable for others to consume through searching ArcGIS Online, a Search Engine, or in OpenData.

4 Comments
PaulSchneider4

I would love to see this happen as well.  Ideally have an option for publicly shared data to behave just like YouTube or Vimeo that you can have a link be "unlisted", so that whoever has the link can view the information, but you can't find the link through our ArcGIS Online Organization and it won't be picked up by a web crawler.   

khutchinson

Agreed! This would be very helpful. 

BrittanyGale

This is extremely useful functionality.  Without it we cannot share our maps with our clients, because that would mean sharing it with the world.  

HollyTorpey_LSA

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished this were possible.