Improve Points of Interest data

08-02-2017 01:44 PM
JamesOsundwa
New Contributor III

I would like to get an attribute of points of interest by how popular they are or how many people are visiting these points. It's not enough to mark them as of national significance, but I need to know how important these POIs are to the country. Such information would be useful for various business and retail use-cases.

4 Comments
ScottPrindle

Hello James,

Thank you for submitting this idea! Aside from number of visitors for a given period of time, what would you say is a good measure of popularity? What kind of data points do you believe would show the importance of a given point of interest, with regards to your business an retail use cases? Any additional information or clarification you can provide will help us examine how this could potentially be addressed.

Thanks,

Scott

ScottPrindle

Hello James Osundwa,

As a follow up to my previous questions, for what areas are you interested in points of interest? How you measure popularity, or what standard would you consider a strong indicator of popularity for the points of interest you're concerned with?

When voting for this idea, please consider leaving a comment to share your perspectives on the questions above. How would the implementation of this idea affect your projects or future work?

Thanks,

Scott

JamesOsundwa

Hi Scott Prindle, at the time of posting this a year ago, I was looking for major public attractions, i.e. popular locations that receive the highest number of visitors (footfall) annually, without regard to the specific type of attraction. This info was going into a store prospecting data model; we ended up pulling the data from elsewhere. An estimated number of visitors would be nice but not necessary.

Best,
James.

JamesOsundwa

Two measures that we're using and finding very effective are:

1. the number of Google photos of the place
  2. social media reviews

Hope this helps..?

James.