Auto-fill date/time field for start AND end of new line feature

07-26-2017 12:18 PM
MichaelMelendez
New Contributor II

When creating a new line feature in Collector, knowing the date and time the feature was BOTH started and stopped/submitted would be beneficial to calculate the period of time it took to create the line feature.

5 Comments
DougGreen

This is an excellent idea and carries an idea I recently posted to the next step. Is there a way we can combine these ideas to gather more support. Everyone I'm talking with in our region is trying to accomplish the auto-populating of fields using collector.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13688 

MichaelMelendez

Doug,

Appending my idea to yours sounds great. I am not sure how to do that, but I did vote for your comment which is at 90 now and added a hyperlink to my idea. Also, I will hyperlink your idea in the comment section for mine.

Regards,

Mike

Michael M. Melendez, P.E.

MichaelMelendez
ScottPrindle

Hello Michael Melendez,

Thank you for submitting this idea! If possible, could you provide more of a description of the projects or tasks where this would be useful? How are you currently recording this information, and how is it being used within your organization?

While it's not the exact functionality you are requesting, I want to ensure you are familiar with Workforce for ArcGIS and the ability to generate/complete assignments. When used in conjunction with Collector, Workforce can give you similar information about the starting and completion of work. More information about your projects or their specific requirements can help us understand why this is needed as outlined in your idea.

Thanks,

Scott

MichaelMelendez

Hi Scott,

We are using Collector to help our mosquito sprayer drivers navigate the roads they have been assigned to spray. When the sprayer is on, we are streaming the line feature in Collector to represent where product was sprayed. Since we know the flow rate of the sprayer, we can use the length of the line feature and the time it took to create it (start/end time) to calculate the volume of product that was sprayed.

Let me know if you any additional detail.

Thank you,

Mike

Michael M. Melendez, P.E.