Allow Time Aware Raster Data on ArcGIS Online & Simplify the Uploading Process

07-11-2017 02:24 PM
JonathanO_Brien1
New Contributor II

Some of us fumble with uploading data to ArcGIS Online, whether it be creating web layers, scene layers, layer files, layer packages, you get the idea. I can never seem to remember which one to use for what.

One thing I have not been able to figure out until recently, though, is how to upload raster data to ArcGIS Online. Recently I saw a tutorial (here is the link) that shows how to upload rasters to ArcGIS Online by converting them to KML format.

This approach is simple enough, but when I uploaded my raster data to ArcGIS Online it was hardly usable. In particular I wanted to allow time on my raster data so that I could show changes over time.

Is there some sort of workaround for this that I am not aware of? If not, this would be a very nice feature to add and would create some beautiful time series'.

2 Comments
KoryKramer

To have time enabled, I believe you would need to publish an image service from a time-enabled Mosaic Dataset.  

Time Enabled Image Service 

Publishing raster data as an image service—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Share imagery as an ArcGIS Online tiled map service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

by Anonymous User

This idea has been implemented with the introduction of ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online at the June 2021 ArcGIS Online update. For more ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online demonstrations and resources, please see the this blog post. Thank you for submitting this idea, and please let us know your feedback. 

Thank you,

-Peter