Add expiration date and last date accessed to items in Portal

06-01-2017 06:31 AM
JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Please add the capability and metadata for content (items) in Portal to be expired.  In the methodology for this, please add last accessed to the list of metadata for an item as well.  Enabling the capability to expire content in an Enterprise Portal is key to keeping the portal content current and keeping backups reasonable.   The capability to expire content should be configurable to be based on one of three attributes:  1) Date last accessed, 2) Date last modified, or 3) Date created.

6 Comments
MatthewStull1

I'd like to see this expiration functionality for content (layers, maps, apps, etc..) in ArcGIS Online (as well as Portal).  It would make it so I wouldn't have to remember to manually go back and remove things from Open Data sites, apps and more. 

by Anonymous User

Hi Matt and J,

In this scenerio, would you want the items to auto-expire once they met your set condition? And/or would you like a way to manually expire items?

When the items are expired, what would your expectation be of how they are (or aren't) surfaced in the portal? Would you want administrators to be able to see the data (marked as expired) but not end users?

Starting at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.x, there is the option to mark items as deprecated which could help discourage use of those items.

Hilary

JTessier

Our initial hope was to be able to flag and ultimately remove content that was no longer being used, to keep our Enterprise Portal lean and reduce risk of it becoming a "junk drawer" of GIS content.  So, to answer your questions, yes we would want the items to auto expire once the met our set condition.  Ideally a user could also set an expiration date on the item when they create it (maybe a required field, defaulting to a system configurable value like a year, but include "Never" as an option perhaps if the data is marked as authoritative?- new at 10.7.x too perhaps?)  Then that list of expired content would not come up in normal searches or add data widgets, and owners of the groups that content was shared to would be able to see the list of expired items that was shared to their group (subset) and bulk delete it at any given time.  Admins would see the list of expired items and if it was only shared to Organization or Everyone, (or they could see all expired content portal-wide with an optional query param) and be able to bulk delete it as well.    

This would also likely/ideally lead to the item dependency tracking in Portal more robust and discoverable, if feature layers, for example that are utilized in other webmaps/apps get expired or deleted, the portal or apps will handle it well with accurate messaging.

Thanks for following up on this idea!

MatthewStull1

Yes, I would want items to expire when they met certain criteria like an expiration date.  After they expire, I would expect that they would still be in AGOL or Portal and still visible to those users who have access to it in AGOL/Portal (but no longer visible to the Public).  The items could also be flagged as expired like we now have flags for Authoritative and Deprecated.

Thanks for following up!

stevecater1

What about an expiration date for an item along with the option to automatically delete the item when that date is reached.

JTessier

@stevecater1 I believe that sounds like a complementary option that I agree could be added here.

@ThomasEdghill , @CarolineWright do you think this can get into Product Plan?