Add last segment to the measure tool in addition to the cumulative distance.

03-30-2017 01:35 PM
GregGogul
New Contributor III

We would like the Measure in Explorer for ArcGIS functionality to closely mimic the ArcEngine widget results and possibly the behavior.  User should be able to click or tap from point A to point B and get a distance. Then continue, by click/or touching the phone screen again, for point C to see the last segments measurement along with the total distance. Then click/tap again and continue clicking/tapping until the user is done measuring with a double tab or something to end the line. I would like to see the line stay on the screen until the user wants to get rid of it.  

3 Comments
AlexanderNohe1

Hi Greg Gogul‌,

I am interested in learning more about your use case.  Can you please elaborate by answering some more of these questions:

What is the industry?*
What is the users workflow and use case?

What is the problem feature X is trying to solve?

What is the benefits or changes that would result from the enhancement?
How critical is the enhancement to your organization?

How do you believe this enhancement may benefit other organizations?

Additionally, can you please give a scenario where you would find this beneficial to the line of work you do.  If you would like, you can directly message me in GeoNet to further discuss.

GregGogul

1. Industry is a mainly an electrical utility but also have water (control Dams and Canal systems) in addition we have some communications that we market our excess Fiber networks. 2, Users workflow and use case; would be that the user would most likely want to measure a path from point a to b to c etc... until ending the path. 3. Problem is that user can only obtain total distance versus last segment as they click from point a to b to c etc... 4. Benefit: Design and Maintenance type personnel would use this information for length of conductors needed during design or during maintenance of a particular facility. Users could record each separate segment while walking off distances in the field or based off of something like the aerial photos, satellite images, to use for their designer or replacement of conductor, pipe or whatever in a maintenance situation. Currently the user of Explorer for ArcGIS can only get the total distance. Measurements are not always point a to be. Measurements in many cases should be straight line, perpendicular x number of feet, then another turn in the line work or path etc... etc... to some endpoint. 5. Criticality to our organization is what I would call low, but it just makes sense to add. 6. Benefit to the phone/tablet users would be able to carry out design or Maintenance calculations for ordering Conduit to be installed, or conductor or pipe to be replaced.   

AlexanderNohe1

Thank you for filling out that information!  I will try to review it a little later today