Export Selected

04-18-2010 11:58 PM
Labels (1)
warrenroberts2
New Contributor II

When selecting using the Select by Location, why not simply have the results option:  'create layer from selected features' or 'export selected features' in the same dialog?

7 Comments
nadja_swiss_parks

I agree. Currently the workflow is to select features, make a (temporary) layer from it and then save this layer. This is not exactly user friendly.

In addition to above idea, I propose to implement the same functionality of "export features" as in ArcMap as this would simplify the workflow. to be precise, ArcGIS Pro lacks the option of "export selection" within the "export features" dialogue. Alternatively, "Selection" - "make layer from selected features" needs the option to save the thus made layer permanently at a chosen location.

KoryKramer

In ArcGIS Pro, exporting a layer with a selection will export the selected features without having to create a temporary layer first.  This is because the export is built on the geoprocessing framework which always honors the selection. 

Do you have workflows where you have applied a selection to a layer and then sometimes need to export just the selection and sometimes export the whole dataset by right-clicking the layer?

nadja_swiss_parks

yes, that's the case. sorry, I mixed it up, I don't see how I can export the whole dataset when a selection is still active (and I don't want to undo the selection).

KoryKramer

Instead of right-clicking the layer with the selection to export, you could right-click the data source (from the Catalog pane) and export...

KoryKramer_0-1612800505551.png

nadja_swiss_parks

That's an option, but not a user-friendly option.

ArcGIS Pro is really missing this handy feature of choosing what to export within the export dialogue. I frequently switch between "Export Selected Features" and "All Features". I wish, this was implemented in ArcGIS Pro too. Personally, I use the third option "Export Features in View Extent" rarely, but it would be great if this option would also be implemented in ArcGIS Pro nonetheless. 

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Closed

At this time, we do not have a plan to create new output datasets from the select by location tool. This can be accomplished using ModelBuilder or Python  to export the result of Select By Location using the Export Table tool.
But per the comments above, we do have near-term plans to ignore a selection on a layer while exporting or running a tool.

Bud
by

It sounds like this idea was about exporting a copy of the selected data.

However, if anyone is wanting to make a feature layer of the selected data, then check out this related idea:
“Select By Location” Feature Layer — Spatial query that is fast, modifiable, and refreshable