Remove Basemap in Explorer for ArcGIS App

03-15-2017 07:57 AM
SamuelHoehn
New Contributor II

Currently, once a Basemap is added to your map, it stays on, unless you re-add the map.  

I would like the ability to remove/turn off a Basemap in the Explorer for ArcGIS app after it has been added.  

4 Comments
ScottPrindle

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for submitting this idea! Just to clarify, are you looking for an option to revert to the previous basemap in your web map, or to remove the basemap entirely from the map? Could you share a workflow or use case for this functionality?

When voting for this idea, please consider commenting to share your own use case where this behavior would aid or improve your workflows.

Thanks,

Scott

SamuelHoehn

Hi Scott ,

Thanks for the response.

To clarify, I would have liked the option to "uncheck" or turn off a basemap in my web map. I thought of it much like the ability to dynamically display layers in the Table of Contents of ArcMap.

BUT, I have done some more research and found that by creating my own Basemap Gallery containing my webmap and using it as the default Basemap Gallery will solve my issue. 

Thanks!

ScottPrindle

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for sharing this workaround you've come across. Would you be willing to expand on the scenarios where you need to turn off the basemap in Explorer? Is the basemap unnecessary, or is it causing issues with the display of your dynamic layers? What types of projects do you currently do where the web map is better understood without a basemap?

Thanks,

Scott

GregGogul

I believe we have ran into an issue where being able to create and turn off a basemap might work for our situation. We have two issues we are trying to solve 1. The scale or being able to zoom to the edge extents of the map (Basemap) was not allowing us to get to the farthest outlying areas of our map. Part of it was caused when we needed the ability to zoom really tight for one type of our underground facilities. These sites are usually not greater than 300 feet wide with a lot of conduit mapped in this small area. 2. We are thinking about creating a blank or white layer which covers our entire service area to include the outlying communities. This will also allow the end field users to view our electric schematic layer without the basemap graphics getting in the way.