from contextual information to ghost attribute

Idea created by mickael.delaere on Jan 13, 2017
    New
    Score0

hi,

Working for 15 years with gis and esri technologies.

Last week i was speaking with a chief department working in water utilies with GIS.

For a few years we are collecting and localizing informations like breaks, leakages,etc... on the water network.

Here is what he said : 

- Mick, yout told me to use GIS. Great, i can localize every event on the network. but...

When i want to summerize and get the number of events per neighborhood or per any administrative limit or per road, i have got to build a geoprocess. if i don't use geoprocess i have for every event i want to analyse to write the road, the neighborhood, etc..

and when i finally did the geoprocess or feed those contextual informations, if the localization of only one of my event have changed, you tell me to geoprocess or to change the contextual information an other time in the attribute table...

He's right, we are storing every day and every night, contextual informations in attributes tables.

"hello i am a network's break i am a spatial data, you spent high precision gps ressources to know where i am"

"hello i am neigborhood layer you spent lot of time to drew my limits"

"hello i am network'part number 132986 you want to know if i am fragile"

So what, i know the localization of every element i draw in my GIS and i have got to store and feed theses contextual informations to summerize.

here is what would like.

threw all my gis technologies, the capacity to automatically get this spatial contextual information without having to store it after complex geoprocesses.

i want a ghost attribute in my layer table feed by on the fly spatial request so that when the network's break introduices, he can say "hello i am the network's break i live on network'part number 132986 in the Bronx"

Investing time to get sharp layers ok but loosing time trying to feed contextual informations that are the verbal expressions of spatial relationships no.