Enable use of ArcGIS Pro without creating a project folder.

Idea created by dwwheelock on Oct 4, 2016
    Duplicate
    Score280

Please enable use of ArcGIS Pro that doesn't require the creation of a whole project folder and file structure.  Please allow the USER to decide if they want to save.

MUCH of the time when I use ArcMap I don't intend to save my work.  I often open a new ArcMap window to view data, to test layer symbology for combinations of layers for a map that I'm working on in another window, or to test in a clean environment when I'm having a problem in another map.  I also do it for many other reasons too numerous to mention.  In these cases I either know or suspect that I won't need to save the map, and plan to save only if I need to.  It's a no-brainer.

So...WHY...when starting up ArcGIS Pro, does ESRI insist that we have to create a whole, messy, space-consuming project folder, complete with File Geodatabase that we may have NO INTENTION of using, before allowing us even to view any data?  Unknown.

ESRI?

This idea has been marked as a duplicate of Open ArcGIS Pro without having to Save by Kirsten Pinkston. Please consider voting for this idea.