Storing Positional Accuracy of GeoPoints

Idea created by ichivite-esristaff Employee on May 27, 2016
    Implemented
    Score130

Problem Definition: Understanding the positional accuracy of data captured in the field is important. Sometimes it is important to know if a point in a map represents the actual and exact location of an asset or event, or if the point is within a particular distance.  To help with this problem, it is handy to be able to persist as an attribute of the captured point its positional accuracy.

The Location Accuracy Thresholdhttp://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/create-surveys/locations.htmparameter is handy, but it does not serve the purpose of storing the actual positional accuracy of the point captured.

Idea: As the author of a Survey123 for ArcGIS Survey, I would like to define a question in my Survey where the positional accuracy as reported by the field device is stored.

Here is how this could work in XLSForm speak. I made up the name of the expression getHAccuracy.

HorizontalAccuracy.png

If support for such a getHAccuracy function was added, then I could also use it in other scenarios. For example: I could pop a warning with a note if the Horizontal Accuracy were not good enough for me. For example:

HorizontalAccuracy2.png

I could even use it in a constraint, to make sure no location is submitted unless a particular positional accuracy threshold is reached.

The positional accuracy, as reported by some consumer devices is to be taken with a grain of salt, but having some way to store this information would  always be valuable. If combining Survey123 for ArcGIS with a more sophisticated GNSS receiver, the use of this function would be even more interesting.