Serial Port NMEA GPS Location Provider

03-18-2016 04:11 AM
ClarkLangridge
Occasional Contributor II
The Location Provider object in the new Runtime SDK does not automatically support data coming from a serial port in the form of a NMEA string.  This is still a very common way for users to supply GPS data to applications, both from external antennae and integrated GPS receivers in devices.  I know that ESRI recommends a library accessed from GitHub that will do this, but it is only available for Windows 8, which leaves those of us who use Windows 7 or some other OS to reinvent the wheel (again).

What I am proposing is a class for dealing with NMEA data coming off a serial port be included with the next Runtime SDK.
Tags (1)
3 Comments
DuaneWhistle

I'm not sure if I have the correct picture, there was a serial port watcher, and in the latest release of runtime everything has been replace with Location Provider and we have do come up with our own version of NEMA Sentence processing (or use what is available on GITHUB), this seems like a step backwards.

DiveshGoyal
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks for the suggestion.
This will be available in the upcoming version 100.10 of Runtime

DiveshGoyal
Status changed to: Implemented

ArcGIS Runtime v100.10 includes a NMEALocationDataSource which makes it easy to work with location information in NMEA messages