Create a replica with multiple layers pointing to the same feature class

02-18-2016 09:44 AM
Labels (1)
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Currently a sync service (used to generate a replica) only allows a single layer per feature class.  So you cannot have two layers that point to the same feature class but filter based on definition query.  This really needs to change.  Having a setup with multiple layers pointing to the same feature class is a pretty standard approach for defining a map.  It is possible you can have maps with numerous layers based on the same feature class and currently this would mean an individual serveice and replica for each 

5 Comments
ScottPrindle

Hello Joe,

Thanks for submitting this idea. Could you expand on your data model where multiple layers are pointing to the same feature class? What information exists in your feature class? How are you building your definition queries for each distinct layer?

When collecting new features, is it possible that a record can be added to layer 1, but have attribution that places it under layer 2?

This is a complex topic, so any additional clarification on your workflows and how this change would improve them will help us better approach this idea.

Thanks,

Scott

JoeHershman

Scott,

Thanks for the follow-up.  A very common occurrence of this is with utilities linear assets (pipes or wires).  With pipes, for instance, it is very common to have a map that symbolizes based on pipe material in one layer and symbolizes based on pipe diameter in another.  This example is just for layer symbolization which really does not even require a definition query.  Also we may not even be requiring editing of these layers.  Another example with pipes is that it is often desired to have Distribution and Transmission as separate layers.  This is accomplished using a definition query.

I could come up with many examples.  In the years I have been working in GIS it has always been pretty common that maps may have more than a single layer referencing the same feature class.

Also this is not just related to editing.  These layers may just be needed for display purposes.  In setting up the offline maps, because of syncing in a versioned environment has to be done by database I ma already separating the editable features into their own service.  But for other layers needing to create numerous maps so layers can be displayed differently is a deployment nightmare and complicates loading data. 

Feel free to email me directly with you would like to discuss in greater detail

-Joe

JoeHershman

Hi Scott Prindle

I should mention that the generally desired behavior does exist in the Mobile for Windows offline maps.  If I use Create Mobile Cache tool this will create an offline database when the source map document has multiple layers pointing to the same feature class.  Although, these caches do not support definition queries.  But moving from using application built on the Mobile for Windows API and Mobile Data Services to Runtime and Sync Services it seems to be losing this functionality.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Under Consideration

JoeHershman

Still needed, this is a big shortcoming, imo