Collector - Place feature manually without GPS.

01-20-2016 08:48 PM
GeorgieCassar
Occasional Contributor
As soon as I choose a feature to add, the locator tool turns on and the map automatically pans to my current location.  In some cases (such as demonstrations and training) I want to place a feature a long way from our current location.  Even when I have the location tool off.   May I suggest that the feature placement takes heed of the current locator tool status.
6 Comments
DamonEisenach

I would like this as well, something like a use current map location instead of my physical location.

I would like users to be able to place points before arrival to the locations, or if they have to move away from the location to a safer place to record.
Even on related records using the create new record it pans me to my physical
location away from the asset location i have selected.
Please allow for a 'turn off auto location' or add a 'use current location' option.

SSISC_FieldCrew

We would also like this option. If we get a sighting from the public, we will go into Collector and add the sighting information. Our area boundary is over 5000 square kilometers. It's very frustrating when a dispatcher is adding information to the map, zoomed into the correct location, goes to add a data point and get automatically navigated back to where they are sitting at a computer. It would be ideal if the feature was off and then when you wanted to place a point, you could click a "center on me" button that would put the point where you are.

GeorgieCassar

Same for us.  We find it quite frustrating that it defaults to GPS position each time you place a point.  Particularly when we are training staff to use Collector in head office !

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried starting your collection by long press on the map instead of using the add button? This prevents the map from centering on your GPS location. 

Add a feature: Collect a feature at a particular location —Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

DamonEisenach

I don't think that works with collecting from related items.

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor

You are correct; this only helps when you were clicking the "Collect new" button.