November is Native American Heritage Month, and part of WeCan's mission at Esri is to promote inclusion, especially for women of color in GIS. To further that goal, we would like to share some resources that can help you honor Native American Heritage Day on Friday, November 23, 2018 (and year round, too).
The list below isn't exhaustive, so we encourage you to conduct your own research and share what you find in the comments section.
See Cool Maps
- Tribal Story Map Challenge: Tell Your Tribe's Story
- UCLA: Mapping Indigenous LA
- Library of Congress: Celebrating Native American Cartography
- About National Native American Heritage Month
- Native American Books: Our Reading Recommendations | First Nations Development Institute
- List of Native American Poets from poetryfoundation.com
- PBS So Cal Native America Podcast Series
- Check with your local library to see how they celebrate Native American Heritage Month (LA County Library Native American Heritage Month Schedule).
- Visit the National Museum of the American Indian.
- Volunteer opportunities on volunteermatch.com:
"Snowflakes, leaves, humans, plants, raindrops, stars, molecules, microscopic entities all come in communities. The singular cannot in reality exist." - Paula Gunn Allen