First of all, thanks for signing up! We appreciate your initiative to help introduce GIS and geography into K-12 education across the country and are happy to have you as part of our community!
What should you do next? ….Follow these steps!
- Know the ropes. If you haven’t already, take a few minutes to learn about the Esri ConnectED Initiative and the GeoMentors program built to support it. Click here.
- Know the resources. Before pursuing a volunteer opportunity, take a moment to browse the training and curriculum materials readily available to you. These may be helpful to you and are also great resources to know to tell schools and teachers about. Click here.
- Review guidelines. Before contacting potential collaborators, review some basic GeoMentor program guidelines. Click here.
- Find a Collaborator. Find a teacher or school to work with using your own social network or our available online databases and maps. Click here.
Find a new school to recruit to the program. Find a school that has yet to sign up for their free GIS software and help introduce them to this opportunity! You could be the one to bring GIS software and activities into the classrooms of your alma mater, your child’s school, or your local community schools! Click here.
- Reach out and get started! Use the provided guidelines to contact an educator registered in our program that is seeking a GeoMentor (guidelines here) or to contact other schools, school districts, or teachers directly (guidelines here) to start your collaboration and contribution to K-12 education!
Also, don’t forget to….
- Join the GeoMentors Community! Follow @AAGGeoMentors on Twitter, like AAG GeoMentors on Facebook, join the GeoMentors GeoNet Group, and/or the GeoMentors Knowledge Community for program news, events, and discussions.https://www.facebook.com/AAGGeoMentors
- Tell us about your GeoMentoring engagements! Reporting your experiences helps us track and improve program efforts. We’ll also provide you a program certificate for your service records.
It is through your efforts, expertise, and enthusiasm that we can really make a difference in K-12 education across the country with GIS and geography!
Have questions? Contact program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy GeoMentoring!