The Location Advantage is a free, introductory-level online course about location analytics. Location analytics uses the locational component of business data to improve understanding of markets, customers, and business processes. Organizations throughout the world use location analytics to make better decisions and gain a competitive advantage. Students will encounter the application of location analytics in retail, finance, insurance, marketing, real estate, and other industries. During the course, students receive free access to the full analytical capabilities of Esri’s location analytics platform, including ArcGIS Online and Business Analyst Web App.
Prerequisites: None, although formal education or experience in business is helpful. Previous experience with geographic information systems (GIS) software may also be useful, but it is not necessary for tech-savvy problem solvers.
Course content: Weekly course sections consist of a video introduction from the course host, an approximately 10-minute video lecture by an Esri staff member, a quiz, a video demonstration, a hands-on case study exercise, a class poll and discussion, and supplementary resources. The course is designed to require only 2-3 hours of study per week.
What are the requirements?
Students must be able to access ArcGIS Online and Business Analyst Web App through a broadband Internet connection using a supported browser. See the recommended browser and operating system combinations here.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Free access to the full analytical capabilities of ArcGIS Online and Business Analyst Online for the duration of the course.
- Information on how location information can help businesses question, analyze, interpret, and visualize data, enabling more informed decisions.
- Information on relating geospatial technology
- Information on how location information can support business functions and add value in various industries.
- Access to hands-on case study exercises that demonstrate how location information can be applied to key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Advice on how to apply spatial thinking to help your organization decrease costs, increase revenue, and reduce risk.
- A Certificate of Completion for students who complete every content item in the course.
What is the target audience?
- Current business school students and alumni (BS and MBA).
- Anyone interested in applications of spatial thinking and geospatial technologies in business.
Course outline: The course consists of six sections. Each section lasts one week and requires approximately 1-2 hours of study.
- Section 1 - The Location Advantage in Business This section will reveal how using location information can enhance analysis and help businesses optimize resources, visualize assets, and streamline workflow processes.
- Section 2 - Understanding Market Opportunity Market planning is the process of analyzing one or more markets to determine how a business can optimally compete in them. Location plays a key role in understanding and prioritizing this strategy.
- Section 3 - Choosing the Right Location Where you locate your business will have a major impact on how well it performs. Choosing the right location could be the difference between business success and failure.
- Section 4 - Understanding Your Market Marketing is the process of promoting, selling, and distributing a product or service. This lesson will focus on market segmentation, a key method for dividing a target market into consumer subsets, as well as new location-based marketing techniques.
- Section 5 - Improving Supply Chain Management Learn how to examine the supply chain by location information flow and logistics to gain a competitive advantage and increased customer satisfaction.
- Section 6 - Avoiding Risk The identification, assessment, and prioritization of risks, paired with existing resources, can minimize, monitor, and determine the probability of future events to maximize the realization of opportunities.