You can customize your notifications so that you receive an email, or not, when a person, place, or item posts an update in one of your streams.
Here are email notification strategies:
- Turn off all email notifications, you will never get an email when your followed people, places, or items post updates in the community.
- Create an Email Watches stream and set email notifications to On for only that stream. Then, only follow critical items in your Email Watches stream. This stream can be helpful when you're away for a few days or if you want to watch something that you haven't directly participated in (if you had, you'd see those updates in your Inbox).
- Set email notifications to "On" for your Inbox (direct social actions) so that you'll get an email any time someone @mentions you, sends you a direct message, or shares something with you. Note that if you set email notifications to On for Inbox (everything in my Inbox page), you will receive an email each time someone posts an update to an item in which you were previously @mentioned or that you participated in. To help manage this you can create rules in your email to filter types of email into specific folders.
You can set your Preferences by going to the top right and selecting and then choose a Community Digest option so you'll receive an email with a summary of community news. The links in the digest open the content right in the community. If you're already getting a digest, you can cancel it or change its frequency here. The digest includes:
- Your status. If you've entered a status message, it'll be here.
- A list of activity around your content. If you've created or commented on content, for example, it'll be listed here. This list will also include notes about content of yours that was viewed or commented on by others.
- A list of activity by people connected to you.
- A list of popular content in the community.