Closes On: January 31, 2020
Visit Employment Opportunities | Norwich, CT - Official Website for details on how to apply
Under the direction of assigned manager, develops a wide variety of computerized maps and map layers through the use of automated drafting equipment by interpreting source data, electronically drafting or digitizing the information into the computer database, adhering to pre-established GIS mapping conventions and following pre-established procedures and sequences using the City of Norwich and Norwich Public Utilities’ Geographic Information System to support the operation efficiency and informational needs of all NPU and city departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Creates, maintains, and edits department’s spatial data bases, including the preparation of data dictionaries and documentation.
- Prepares and executes queries under the direction of supervisor, of individual electronic databases and thematic maps, producing products that include, but are not limited to, maps, tables, plots, charts, and graphs.
- Using GIS and other technologies, prepares a variety of analyses of electronic information, including the preparation of multi-layered and linked thematic maps, and tabular data.
- Prepares graphic materials showing the results of these analyses and assists staff in interpreting the results.
- Determines scale, line size and color to print hard copies of computerized maps using a plotter.
- Quality assures layers for currency and accuracy of a variety of geographical information system data, including researching and revising maps and data from other data systems; identifies and corrects GIS errors.
- Operates a variety of geographic information systems input and output devices, including digitizing boards, scanners, printers, and plotters.
- Services as member of intra- and inter-departmental applications development teams.
- Answers questions and provides information to staff regarding maps.
- Completes supporting forms and correspondence to relay completion of changes to the property owners and staff.
- Generates and maintains records, documentation, and files for all NPU infrastructure, utility services, and systems.
- Performs all function of Technician as assigned.
- Files and retrieves information relating to all NPU services relating to “call before you dig” and general construction needs.
- Generates analysis for general engineering calculations and energy conservation issues.
Other Related Duties:
Assist Coordinators, Engineers, and Foreman in project activities.
Education and Experience
- An Associate Degree from a recognized college or university and a minimum of 2 years of GIS Mapping experience, ESRI ArcGIS platform experience preferred.
- 5 years GIS mapping experience in the ESRI ArcGIS platform.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The principles and practices of geometry.
- Computer applications used to produce maps.
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems) principles.
- Properties of maps, including distance scales and legends.
- Source documents used to create maps.
- Source documents used to map layers or drawings.
- Input and access data using a personal computer.
- Read and interpret land maps.
- Read and interpret source documents.
- Perform difficult mathematical calculations.
- Give continuing and meticulous attention to detail.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of business.
- Perform complex drafting work under minimum supervision.
- Explain complex systems and procedures.
- Interpret survey data, deed descriptions and related source documents to create accurate maps.
- Proficiently read and modify engineering drawing using manual and automated/CAD drafting techniques.
- Create and maintain electronic and hardcopy record system.
- Technical knowledge of utility operations.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with NPU employees at all levels, customers, suppliers, and relevant external contacts.
- Demonstrated willingness to take risks and seek innovative solutions to business issues.
- Demonstrated ability to operate within established policies, practices, and regulations.
- Operate under pressure and not get easily frustrated.
- Prioritize own work and manage time effectively.
- Instill confidence by responding to the customer in a prompt, courteous and informative manner. Able to effectively represent NPU to the public.