Sergei Rusetski, Belarus

12-06-2019 10:35 AM

Sergei Rusetski, Belarus

Navigation:  2016 Scholar Project  2016Conference   ReferenceProject   CommunitiesPage   ConservationGIS  Scgis.org

Sergei Rusetski,  National Academy of Sciences, Belarusd

xForest xPark  X2016Scholar  x2016Talk  xTalk  xScholar  xBelarus  xeurope

Organization name: Institute of experimental botany of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
*-Organization full street address (in your local format): Akademicheskaya ul 27, Minsk, Minsk region, 220072, Belarus.
*-Organization full mailing address, if different:
*-Work phone with country and area code: +375-17-284-18-51
*-Work fax with country and area code: +375-17-284-18-53
*-Main email: nan.botany@yandex.by
*-Organization Web site URL if any: http://botany-institute.bas-net.by

describe the history of your personal work in conservation and GIS:
In all my professional activities I have participated in the research and the organization of more than 15 protected areas. I have performed work on monitoring forest conditions in Belarus, examination of the status and dynamics of forests in the two national parks (Belovezhskaya Pusha National Park and Narochansky National Park). I participated in a study of vegetation in areas subject to strong anthropogenic influence (roadsides, construction zone, and the territory of industrial enterprises). In all projects listed above I have used GIS analysisto determine the territorial features, identifying spatiotemporal patterns and describing the structure, which allowed a better understanding of the features of the objects. All the projects in which I'm currently participating are associated with using GIS in varying degrees.

describe the work that your current organization does: The Institute of Experimental Botany is a research institution in the structure of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Institute of Experimental Botany is the oldest in the country research institution biology. The Institute was founded March 29, 1931 on the basis of thed departments of botany, zoology, physiology and experimental biology. The Institute is the leading research establishment coordinatingbotanical, physiological and biochemical research in the country. It is the head of the state program "Problems of sustainable functioning of natural ecosystems, the rational use, reproduction and conservation of biological resources of flora and fauna." The Institute closely collaborates with other research and industrial organizations. The Institute carries out joint projects with local non-governmental organizations and foreign counterparts, the main direction of joint activities - protection of natural areas that are important in transboundary scale. The main activities of the Institute are:
    development of adaptive methods of farming;
    conservation and efficient use of biological resources;
    environmental management technology to ensure the reproduction of plant resources;
    technology monitoring and forecasting the state of the environment;
    study the physiological and biochemical mechanisms of plant productivity and sustainability;
    scientific bases of reproduction, rational use and protection of flora;
    methods of environmental monitoring, prediction and prevention of emergency situations of technogenic and natural character. I work at the Institute for nearly 5 years - since 2011. During this time, I participated in more than 20 large and small projects. The circle of my duties is constantly expanding, I went to work at the Institute like a forestry scientist, but at the present time, I also perform the duties of a cartographer, geospatial analyst, and programmer. The main project in which I'm busy at the moment - the ddevelopment of forest exploitation evaluation module for forest monitoring GIS. I also take part in a number of works on the establishment and transformation of nature protected areas and development of a vegetation map of Belarus.

describe what is the most unique and the most challenging about the conservation/GIS work that you do: Perhaps the most difficult stage of all the projects I've worked with, I would call, the collection, organization and preparation of data. I usually use several sources of information for the preparation of the project - the data of the state forest inventory, data of state registration of land, satellite imagery data and our own field research data. Sometimes it is difficult to properly reconcile all of them with each other due to the different timing of production, differences in projections and detail.

Title of your paper: Usage of GIS in bird conservation in Ukrainian forest zone

Paper shows changes in conservation practice in forests of three forestry companies in Western Polissia of Ukraine after justification of these changes basing on provided data and analysis of distribution of nests and nesting territories of rare bird species – Black Stork (Ciconia nigra). In the analysis, such factors were taken into account: forest logging, level of forest fragmentation, age of forests and prevailing species of trees on breeding plots.

d

Version history
Last update:
‎12-06-2019 10:35 AM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors