Maholy Ravaloharimanitra, Madagascar

12-06-2019 10:31 AM

Maholy Ravaloharimanitra, Madagascar

Navigation:  2016 Scholar Project  2016Conference   ReferenceProject   CommunitiesPage   ConservationGIS  Scgis.org

Maholy Ravaloharimanitra

d*-Organization name : The Aspinall Foundation Madagascar
*-Organization full street address (in your local format) : 41, Rue Kasanga Fernand Tsimbazaza
*-Organization full mailing address, if different:
*-Work phone with country and area code : +261340751475
*-Work fax with country and area code:
*-Main email:
*-Organization Web site URL if any : http://www.aspinallfoundation.org/conservation
http://www.facebook.com/aspinallmadagascar
http://lemurconservationnetwork.org/organization/aspinall-foundation

describe the history of your personal work in conservation and GIS: I have designed The Aspinall Foundation’s database relating to lemur data collect in field. Primatologists periodically improve these databases, since 2012. I have accompanied, support and contributed to the success of the transfer of management of 4 COBA (organization of local communities having the same interest on natural resources into an association) for them to get their contract and I am now planning to implement at least 3 new process to get transfer of management contract for this year. These transfers of management area were delimited, using GPS and base map. And I have contributed to the elaboration and redaction of the article on transfer of management published by Lemur News n°17 (King et al, 2013)
I am responsible of the Environmental Education of local communities as well as capacity building of these COBA for them to get the necessary skills to manage their own association and their natural resources. The Primate Education for Network (PEN) story telling award on 2015 has just awarded my Education Education’s work.

describe the work that your current organization does:
The Aspinall Foundation is a NGO working with local partners to help protecting species from extinction. Here in Madagascar, our work is focusing on the conservation of critically endangered lemur species and its habitat from extinction. In order to achieve sustainable results on that, we are collaborating with local communities living within and around the forest area. We are helping them to draw their management plan using participatory mapping and support its implementation.
We are also running permanent research in field to monitor change on lemur population over time as well as threats and pressure and try to assess sustainability of the discovered population. Our 4 primatologists are working with 31 local rangers from 12 local communities and one new protected area. My role is coordinating and orienting primatologists and local rangers’ fieldwork and managing data collected. I am also the main responsible of local communities and transfer of management of natural resources to them. I am elaborating all the media support used for sensitization and education (calendar, school notebooks, posters…) And finally, since June 2013, I have been entrusted the responsibilities of leading and coordination as same as the oversight of the foundation’s project in Madagascar.

describe what is the most unique and the most challenging about the conservation/GIS work that you do: Lemur’s data in Madagascar is suffering from deficiency that it would be a shame to have data and not use them efficiently and successfully. Some part of the delimitation process is inaccessible, which caused the lack of tracks data for some part of the delimitation data. Zoning is not tracked on field but synthesized on map according the participatory mapping data elaborated with local communities. We have got helped by partners for the 3 previous transfer of management but we would like to be autonomous for the 3 proposed transfer of management.

xPrimate xEducation  X2016Scholar  x2016Talk  xTalk  xScholar  xMadagascar  xWomen xPOC xAfrica

Version history
Last update:
‎12-06-2019 10:31 AM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors