Diana Paredes, 2019 Conference Talk

11-13-2019 11:17 AM

Diana Paredes, 2019 Conference Talk

Diana Paredes   Wildlife Conservation Society Ecuador Program,  SCGIS 2019 TTT                      

x2019Talk    xHuman Wildlife  xPark   xEnvironmental  xThreat xEnforcement xAntipoaching     

email:    dparedes at wcs  org

2019 Presentation -pdf

2019 Video -mp4

Presentation: "Helping rangers to improve law enforcement through maps"

My name is Diana I work for WCS; actually I work as the landscape ecology coordinator. Our work is centered in the Yasuni Biosphere Reserve.
Abstract: The biodiversity of Yasuní Biosphere Reserve (YBR) is under pressure by a number of anthropogenic factors including road construction for oil exploitation, illegal logging and commercial hunting. In 2006, WCS developed a general map of the environmental problems of Yasuní Biosphere Reserve to display the number and spatial distribution of six threats to conservation. In 2009, using additional data gathered in the field and information verified with locals, a new map of environmental problems was developed. In 2015 and 2018 this maps have been develop to and now we have excellent information to help Yasuni National Park to improve the law enforcement actions.
For this we develop a very easy spatial solution. With all the information that rangers get from their work. We map this information and we interpolate the points with the grids to have a hot spot map to know where they have been patrolling and if they found something and also we can know where is more likely to make patrols or where patrols have not been done and we need to put more attention. With this maps the efficiency of the patrols have been improve almost a 30% more.

Version history
Last update:
‎11-13-2019 11:17 AM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors