Zouh Tem Isabella,Cameroon

05-09-2019 11:33 AM

Zouh Tem Isabella,Cameroon

Navigation:  2016 Scholar Project  2016Conference   ReferenceProject   CommunitiesPage   ConservationGIS  Scgis.org

Zouh Tem IsabellaCameroon National REDD+,Cameroon

d

2016 Presentation (abstract below) none 

2016 Video -mp4 HD (mb) 
d

2016 Profile: Zouh Tem Isabella
Cameroon National REDD+, Cameroond

I am a female Cameroonian and one of the few female members of the Cameroon chapter of SCGIS for over 6 years, with over 7 years of experience on the use and application of GIS in Cameroon and the central Africa sub region. I work for the Cameroon national secretariat for the national REDD+ program under the ministry of Environment, Nature Protection and Sustainable Development with a particular focus on Monitoring, verification and Reporting methodology at the national scale. Part of our work is in charge of overseeing technically all pilot projects in the country undertaken by other partner organizations in the mitigation approach to climate change; such as WWF, WCS, GIZ, CED, CIFOR, PLAN Cameroon and work by many other national and local NGOs.

After my course work in GIS and remote sensing from the Africa Regional Centre for Space Science and Technology in English, I have applied GIS in a wide range of domain including;
⦁ Identification and Pre_analysis of SPOT images for Ngoyla Mintom massive for REDD+ National Coordination (MINEPDED). This is an unpaid activity whereby the government invites or brings together identified individual with basic knowledge for technical assistance.
⦁ Training of Directors, Sub-Directors and Regional Delegates of MINEPDED on change detection using Satellite Images.
Validation of WCMC produced mangrove classifications for the four West African countries of Cameroon, Gabon, Republic of Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo (examples of the mangroves validated work below)

I also contributed to a voluntary mapping of the Mefou National park (Cameroon). This was an ecotourism mapping exercise by the Cameroon chapter of SCGIS. We decided to produce as a contribution to assist the Mefou national park management in their effort towards the protection and conservation of primates in the Mefou national park. Funding for conservation work is sometimes rare out here and the management depends heavily on tourist for the survivor of the park. As a way of providing assistant to this effort, Cameroon chapter of SCGIS in 2012/2013 developed a database after some field data collection and produced a series of ecotourism maps, which we provided to the management of the Mefou national park free of charge.

My organization is the National REDD+ secretariat under the ministry of Environment, Nature Protection and Sustainable Development. We are working with a wide range of panthers, dother ministries, funding organizations, INGOs, NGOs and other CSOs for the effective coordination and implementation of a national REDD+ program in Cameroon following the UNFCCC guidelines. I am a member of the MRV team and the application and use of Remote Sensing and GIS in MRV methodology cannot be over- emphasized. We are in charge of developing in collaboration with partners and adopting a national methodology for monitoring of forest carbon stock.

I am a member of the MRV team in charge of ensuring the effective Monitoring, Verification and Reporting of our national REDD+ program. Some of the activities includes but not limited to;
-Participate in all GIS related operations from field preparation, data input, Analysis and final interpretation;
-Collection of GPS points for production of thematic maps;
-Interpretation of Aerial photographs and satellite images;
-Assisting in the elaboration of the second National Communication on Climate Change in Cameroon; (Decision N° 00165/MINEP of 24th July 2009);
-Fully engage in the REDD+ mechanism in Cameroon in the MRV department;

Over the next year, I hope to greatly contribute towards realization of our national REDD+ program. As mentioned above, together with other technical members to undertake forest cover analysis in the national territory of Cameroon. The results of this work will contribute to the establishment of a Cameroon national reference scenario as well as projection scenarios for business as usually and in case of the implementation of the national REDD+ Results from here will great a major different in directing several pilot projects in Cameroon on acceptable methodologies and approaches in the implementation of REDD projects/programs.

I am currently hopping to start up a PHd program and part of this knowledge will be useful for my thesis, which I hope to use GIS to facilitate my research work. Moreover, I am looking dforward to providing part-time teaching to students of the forestry school in Mbamayo on the use and application of GIS in forest resources management. This training is going to build my capacity in transferring sucy knowledge gain to these students

2016 ABSTRACT:   “Vegetation cover change of mangroves linked to species zonation pattern; case of Douala- Manoka, Cameroon”

Landsat satellite imageries was used to map changes within mangrove zonation that identified and described hydrological and vegetation cover changes in mangroves in the Douala Manoka estuary in Cameroon linked to species zonation patterns. Specifically, the time series data for the sites (Douala-Edea: Mbiako to Manoka;) was produced with an analysis of seaward edge of mangrove areas to show important trends. Desktop studies were applied to estimate overall changes in mangroves seaward and landward migratory trends over time using landsat images from 1975 to 2009, supplemented by ground truth data collected in 2010 in the mangroves zone. Overlay methodology provided useful information about changes in disappearing islands in terms of occupied surface areas in hectares in the investigated landsat image years, historical site of Mirando showed that between 1975 and 1986, this structure was terrestrial meanwhile by the year 2000, the structure has been engulfed by water. Digital Shoreline Analysis System (DSAS) methodology was useful in estimating at different location of interest general tread and overall movement of the landward or seaward migration over time. Local population were interviewed in the field and their superstitions above marine mammal causing flooding due to annoyance with the people were captured.

xClimateChange xRedd  xInvasive  X2016Scholar  x2016Talk  xTalk  xScholar  xCameroon  xPOC xWomen xAfrica

Version history
Last update:
‎05-09-2019 11:33 AM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors