Adnane Labbaci, Morocco

05-06-2019 05:05 PM

Adnane Labbaci, Morocco

Navigation:  2017 Scholar Project  2017Conference   ReferenceProject   CommunitiesPage   ConservationGIS  Scgis.org    wwf  wwf

SCGIS International Volunteer: this is a new program to honor an international student volunteer who serves as a course assistant & support person for the scholars 

Adnane Labbaci, High Commission of Water, Forests and Combating Desertification, MOROCCO 

Address Quartier Adminitratif, Chellah, Rabat, Maroc, Morocco       

*-Work phone: +212 5 37 66 03 10 *-Work fax: +212 5 37 66 62 05, email: eauxetforet@gov.ma, URL: www.eauxetforets.gov.maloading....

your current organization:  My organization, Government department, the High Commission of Water Forests and Combating Desertification has the following missions:
- Develop and implement government policy in the areas of conservation and sustainable development of forest, alfa, sylvo-pastoral resources in areas subject to the forest regime, as well as hunting, inland fish and national parks and protected areas development;
- Coordinate the establishment of institutional mechanisms for the preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of government policy to combat desertification;
- Participate in the development and implementation of government policy on rural area.

your personal role in the organization
:
Currently, my Job title is 'chief of GIS and Remote Sensing Bureau'. I had experience for more than 12 years. That means that I am in charge of coordinating the GIS data for all the programs implemented by my department in state level. We have several programs: forest management, watershed management, forest restauration, fighting desertification, monitoring fire forest, and national parks and protected areas management. Those programs implement the vision of our administration for the sustainable development of the natural resources and enhance the good living of populations.

history of your personal work in conservation and GIS:I have been involved in Conservation for more than twelve years. My position at the Forest Department as an engineer in forestry and GIS analysis help me a lot to protect natural resources and participate to their sustainable development. While working, and coming from mountains region, I discovered the world of nature and conservation. I became engaged in combating desertification and fighting for good governance. During my days, I did usually work with GIS and develop maps that can help the decider maker to take the best decisions.
In 2016, I came to the U.S.A to as a Humphrey Fellow at UC Davis with a major interest in developing web apps for monitoring climate change effects on forests. Then I discovered new tools with ArcGis online (story map, insight, web studio builder, …) as apowerful tool to share and present data. Dr. Karen Beardsley provide to me account for ArcGis Online and ArcGis Server that I can exercise myself to learn how to use this tools. In December 2016, I attended a training with Esri in Sacramento about how to share your data and learn more about web Apps.
Nevertheless, I think in the future, it going to become a tool that I will be using more and more in my job and personal vision. I want to use GIS and Web Apps to map out our natural resources and foster good governance back home.

your connection to the local SCGIS chapterloading....loading....: I must say, my connection to the SCGIS community is very limited as it is very recent. I have been looking for information until I moved here to US. At the time, I am looking forward to connecting with people in my country and the MENA region. Back home, I will first connect to GIS practitioners to bring out a collaboration and set up a platform for collaboration and mutual exchange.

*-Title of the paper you will present: Sensitivity to desertification and recognition Geo-tourism: Case of the Protected Area Ain Asmama

*-Abstract/summary of the paper you will present: Desertification is a phenomenon that affects many parts of the globe. Its economic, social and environmental extent generates significant socio-economic damages.
The present work aims to assess the risk of desertification in the Site of Biological and Ecological Interest (SBEI) of Ain Asmama located in the Southwest of Morocco and to develop a geoecotourism map to appreciate its natural assets.loading....
The model defined by the MEDALUS project (Mediterranean Desertification and Land Use) was used for the characterization of the phenomenon of desertification in the SBEI of Ain Asmama.
The methodological approach treats the risk of desertification determined by a several factors among them the soil erosion. The methodology for the erosion assessment used the revised model of the Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) to estimate sediment production by sheet and rill erosion. The GIS was used for the modeling.
The MEDALUS model treats the sensitivity to the desertification due to the effect of soil, climate, vegetation and socio-economic quality, where the parameters are evaluated by weights translating their importance, the highest weight being allotted to the parameters of high sensitivity. Weights assigned to the different sensitivity factors are combined according the MEDALUS model to develop the desertification vulnerability map.
The cartography of the different information layers was performed in a georeferenced system. The analysis of multitemporal satellite imagery was used to assess the land cover evolution of the SBEI of Ain Asmama. The combination and data modeling were made in a Geographic Information System (GIS).
Finally, it was discussed to apprehend the natural patrimony development of the SBEI, as it happens using ecotourism which is undoubtedly an activity whose development will not affect its ecological values ??but it could provide a benefit to the local population.

xDesert  xSoil   xRemote  X2017Scholar  x2017Talk  xTalk  xScholar  x2017TTT  xTTTAssistant  xMorocco xAfrica xPOC

Version history
Last update:
‎05-06-2019 05:05 PM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors