City of Seattle
Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time - $83,102.40 - $124,695.36 Annually
Category: IT and Computers
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Closing: 5/14/2019 4:00 PM Pacific
Seattle IT is currently seeking a senior GIS software developer to join the City's GIS & CADD Applications Development team. The successful candidate joins a team of GIS and CADD software developers and will focus primarily on assignments supporting the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT). This position will have frequent interaction with users and stakeholders, especially during requirements gathering, design review, and user acceptance testing activities. Project assignments may involve the development of desktop applications, web applications, web services, mobile applications, or the automation of spatial analysis processes.
The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of GIS concepts and technologies and will be experienced working in all phases of a formal software development lifecycle (SDLC). You will possess advanced software programming skills and a familiarity with Transportation or Utility applications of GIS will be a plus. Your strong communication and leadership skills will be highly valued in our team-oriented and customer service focused organization. This position is best suited to an individual who thrives on challenging projects and learning new technologies, and who strives to advance team performance through improved practices.
About the Team:
- Job Responsibilities
- Design, develop and deploy desktop and web-based business/GIS applications in a complex computing environment.
- Work with the business to identify requirements, work flows, business rules, and business functions that will factor into the design of software applications.
- Assess technology solutions, and recommend options
- Develop system designs, including logical/physical data models.
- Develop software, and, at times, assume the role of lead GIS developer for specific projects.
- Develop unit and system test plans and scripts, complete system testing, and coordinate with business users to ensure the prompt completion of user acceptance testing.
- Coordinate with GIS Operations and other Seattle IT teams to ensure the successful deployment and ongoing support of both vendor and custom products.
- Provide support, troubleshooting, modifications, enhancements and maintenance for existing GIS applications, scripts, tools, and web services
Education: A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Management Systems, Mathematics, or a related field.
Skills & Experience:
- 5 years' software development experience with C# and the .NET Framework
- 5 years' experience with the Esri software suite (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, etc.,)
- 5 years' experience working with a relational database management system such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server or a comparable system
- 5 years' experience performing all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical concepts in clear and common language
- Demonstrated success in problem solving and trouble-shooting
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Capability to work efficiently in a deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and experience in a leadership role
- Experience with transportation applications of GIS
- Experience with user interface (UI) design for GIS and non-GIS applications
- Familiarity with mobile cross-platform development using Xamarin or similar technology
- Experience using Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS) and GIT source code version control
- Familiarity with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) & Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Thorough knowledge of database concepts, database design, data modeling, and system architecture
- Additional Information
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include a resume and a cover letter with your completed application.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104