Writing about yourself is the hardest thing to do for many people. What do you say? What is relevant to the readers? How do you talk about yourself in the third person?
Writing Your Professional Bio
Here are a few tips for creating a professional bio for your GeoNet profile.
- Ask yourself how do you want your bio to look? What do other bios look like on other communities you may visit?
- Short bios are best when under 250 words long or one paragraph
- Long bios are about 2-3 paragraphs in length depending and often readers only scan them
- Outline your highlights, qualifications, and accomplishments
- Qualifications, skills, education (degrees and certifications), honors, association memberships
- A short list of professional and personal information
- Professional achievements and awards
- Writing the Bio:
- The bio can be in the first person if you want a more personal biography or in the third person for a more formal biography
- Keep it brief, relevant and up-to-date
- Short paragraphs
- Bullet points whenever possible
- Include important details that are relevant to your skills and experience
- Briefly explain past education, years in your career and continuing education history.
- Optional, include personal or interesting facts to reflect who you are outside of the office
- Where you grew up
- Special talents
- Favorite hobbies
- Include a professional photograph so that readers can put a face to a name.
Adding Your Professional Bio to Your GeoNet Profile
Now that you have written your professional biography for your GeoNet profile, you can add it to your profile in three steps.
1. Click on your Avatar drop-down menu and select Edit Profile.
2. On the Profile Details tab, scroll to your Biography text field and add your professional bio. You can expand the text field by dragging the bottom right corner out and/or down to the desired size. Click the Finished button to save your professional biography once you are complete.
3. Once your profile is updated, you can see your biography in your profile window. Others visiting your profile can see your biography on your profile by default. You can also update who can see your biography by Modifying Your Profile Privacy Settings and selecting Yourself, Colleagues, or Everyone in the Profile Privacy settings.