FAQ - ArcGIS Monitor Installation & Configuration

Document created by ggraham-esristaff Employee on Dec 1, 2017Last modified by ggraham-esristaff Employee on Dec 18, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Q:           Where does ArcGIS Monitor get installed?

A:            On a dedicated Windows server class machine that does not host other production operations.

Q:           What operating systems are supported for installing ArcGIS Monitor?

A:            64-bit Windows versions as follows: 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, 8.x, 10

Q:           What are the hardware requirements for ArcGIS Monitor?

A:            Minimum sizing is 4 CPU cores, 16 GB RAM. Additional 2 CPU, 4 GB RAM per Monitoring Service.

Q:           What databases are supported for the ArcGIS Monitor data repository?

A:            Only MongoDB version 3.4.x or 3.6.x community server version for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit and later, with SSL support x64.

Q:           Can I install ArcGIS Monitor on a Virtual Machine?

A:            Yes, provided that the operating system for the VM and the host of the VM are both a supported operating system.

Note:Parallels” (Apple/Mac) is not a supported virtual environment with ArcGIS Monitor due to the implementation and design of Parallels as it lacks the required    support for Windows performance counters. Parallels does not support the Windows memory counters. When ArcGIS Monitor tries to collect, it hangs waiting for    the response from WMI. Therefore, you can’t use an Apple/Mac to create a Windows VM and deploy ArcGIS Monitor on the VM and expect it to work.

Q:           Do any components of ArcGIS Monitor get installed where ArcGIS Enterprise is installed?

A:            No. ArcGIS Monitor remotely connects to the target machine to gather information.

Q:           Can I install ArcGIS Monitor on the same machine where I have the older System Monitor tool running?

A:            No. Don’t run System Monitor and ArcGIS Monitor on the same machine – it will consume too many resources.

Q:           Can I upgrade System Monitor 3.x (or 10.5.x) to ArcGIS Monitor 10.6?

A:            You can import the monitoring service (.cpj file) from 3.x in the ArcGIS Monitor 10.6 Administrator. This will create a new Windows service. Then you can set the    same credentials you had working in 3.x and Test each counter type that was imported. After the test is successful, you will start collecting new data for those    counters. If you had any extensions or tasks, you will need to get the latest version of the extension from the ArcGIS Monitor Gallery. Historical data from the 3.x    database will not be migrated. If you need historical data from 3.x run the desired reports in 3.x. version. Then you can uninstall System Monitor 3.x.

Q:           Can I upgrade System Monitor 2.x or 1.x to ArcGIS Monitor 10.6?

A:            No. You will need to uninstall System Monitor following that version documentation. Then do a fresh install of ArcGIS Monitor 10.6.

Q:           After ArcGIS Monitor is installed, what is projected storage growth per month?

A:            Raw data is continually aggregated and truncated when 14 days old. Only aggregate data (day, month, year) is stored after that. So, the size of the database will     initially grow fast in the first 14 days and then stabilize. After you have 14 days of data, growth of 1 GB per month is typical.

Q:           What languages are supported for installing ArcGIS Monitor 10.6?

A:           The initial release of ArcGIS Monitor is supported for the Windows operating systems (2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, 8.x, 10) in English. Support for additional    languages is planned for future releases. 

10 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes