Example Apps Frequently Asked Questions

Document created by MWilburn-esristaff Employee on Nov 28, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Example Apps – FAQs

1. I’ve been tasked by my organization to create an app very similar to one that’s already been built as an Example App. Is it okay for me to reuse that source code in my app?

Yes! All Example Apps are open and covered by the Apache license, so you are free to use them as-is or as a starting point for a new app. This is one of the primary reasons that Example Apps were created – to showcase the power of our APIs and SDKs and make them easier to consume!

2. I found a bug in one of your Example Apps. If I submit an issue, when can I expect for it to be fixed?

We do our best to maintain each of our Example Apps, however cannot guarantee a specific timeframe within which the issue will be resolved.

If it’s something for which you already have a fix, in addition to opening an issue, we welcome you to also submit a pull request and contribute directly to the GitHub repository itself. We’d love to see our repositories represent collaboration with our developer community!

3. I want to run an Example App, but can’t find it in the Apple App Store or in the Google Play Store. Should I expect to see it in there?

No. Not all of our apps are intended to make it into a platform’s application store. The most ideal way to run an app is to fork its GitHub repository, clone it locally, and compile it on your own. You can find instructions on how to download and install the application within the project repository's README.md file.

4. Do I need an ArcGIS for Developers account to build and run an unpublished Example App?

The need for a free ArcGIS for Developers account can vary by Example App depending on the features which it leverages. (For example, apps leveraging OAuth authentication to grant access to portal or organization content must use a client id and an ArcGIS for Developers account is required to create this.) To keep things simple, this is explicitly indicated in the README file of each app's GitHub repository.

In order to publish an Example App as your own (which removes the 'For Developer Use Only' watermark) and allow others to use it, this will separately require you to have an ArcGIS Developers subscription and licensed access to the appropriate SDK. There are basic options of each that exist free of any cost. For more on that, see https://developers.arcgis.com/pricing/ and https://developers.arcgis.com/pricing/licensing/.

5. I have a suggestion for a particular feature or app I’d like to see. Is there a place for me to share that feedback?

Absolutely. We’d love to hear your ideas! You have a couple avenues open to you.

If the suggestion is a general one or revolves around the idea of a future Example App, feel free to open a discussion on our GeoNet group pageA discussion is a great way to raise attention to the idea.

Likewise, if your suggestion is specific to an existing app and you already have an idea in mind of how it could be implemented, feel free to:

a) log an issue in the appropriate repository and

b) submit a pull request with the suggested code change.

One of our repository admins will review the change and may either amend or collaborate with you on it before merging.

6. What differentiates an Example App from the other apps I’ve seen from Esri, like `Collector for ArcGIS` or `Survey123 for ArcGIS`?

Esri makes available a number of apps that are intended to be used for production. These apps are official products from Esri meaning that they are fully supported and appear in Esri’s full product listing. They can be found in your OS’ app store and are regularly maintained and updated. For a complete listing of these apps, check out: http://www.esri.com/software/apps.

Example Apps are a little different. These applications are built with the intention of their source being opened to the public. The reason behind this is twofold:

1. Help showcase to you what can be done with Esri’s APIs and SDKs by providing useful, real-world examples.

2. Encourage and assist you in building your own applications by providing various common starting points that may mirror your use case.

While we make every effort to create Example Apps at the highest quality possible, we make no claims as to the suitability of these apps to be used directly in production. There is no active support program as there is for Esri's official applications.

You can read more about the currently-available Example Apps here: https://developers.arcgis.com/example-apps/.

7. Example Apps kind of sound like more extensive samples of what I can already find in the SDK documentation. Is that all they are?

Not entirely. While it is true that Example Apps may seem a bit like many samples stitched together into a single application, it’s worth regarding them as much more than that. Whereas SDK and API samples tend to be isolated code snippets, Example Apps exemplify best practices in application architecture and thoughtful UI/UX considerations when building high-quality, fully-finished applications with Esri’s APIs and SDKs.

8. There’s a lot of talk on here of GitHub and repositories and forking, pull requests, etc. What if I don’t use GitHub or don’t understand it? Do you have any recommendations for familiarizing myself with Git and GitHub so that I can take advantage of Esri's Example Apps?

Be assured that GitHub is less daunting than it may seem. Not only is it a very common code-sharing platform in the world today, it is also one of the primary ways Esri shares its projects with its developer communities. To familiar yourself with GitHub and Git (the version control system tool that it uses), we recommend checking out this 10 minute GitHub guideAfter you're done, head on over to http://esri.github.io/ to see what other cool projects you may have been missing from Esri!

last edited 11/28/2017

1 person found this helpful