Having the ability to create your own custom streams allows you to customize the way you view activity across the site. While Activity surfaces site-wide activity and Connections Stream showcases the activity of all the connections you’ve established, the Custom Stream feature allows you to further filter out the noise by picking and choosing people, places and tags to follow in a very targeted way. You can set up custom streams for teams, working groups, projects, etc. and they will be aggregated on the News page.
To create a new stream:
- From the navigation bar click the News tab.
- Beside the list of stream at the top of the page, click on the plus sign to create a new stream. If this is your first News stream, guided Pop-Ups will walk you through the initial steps.
- Give your stream a name.
- You’ll be able to search people, places and tags in the search box provided in the stream set-up window. You’ll also see suggestions for people and places presented to you. To add a person or place, or tag click on the add button or drag and drop the entry into the empty column to the left of the search or suggestion results.
- You can also edit, delete, modify you news stream content and pin your news stream and the default news feed.
- You can turn email notifications on/off for each of your custom streams on this page as well. The notifications button can be found above the list of people and places you’ve selected to follow in this stream. These can also be modified in your preferences page. See the Setting Up Your Email Notifications and Other Preferences for detailed instructions.
- Click Done.
The stream will immediately begin to populate and on the News page you will see an aggregate of top and trending posts for all your streams in one place.