This document will take you through the steps needed to create a blog post on GeoNet. For this example, we will be creating a blog in the Esri Technical Support group, but the same instructions will apply to any other place in GeoNet that allows open blog creation.
Step one: Navigate to the Esri Technical Support.
Step Two: Create a new blog post
Go to the action menu dropdown at the top of the group and click Blog Post as shown in the image below.
Step Three: Open and Populate the blog
Once you click on Blog Post in Step Two, a new blog will open, like the one below.
Populate your blog
- Add a title in the title box
- You can add an image or banner to show behind the title
- Start typing in the body section of the blog
- Use the rich text format options (above the body) to format your text
- Add photos by clicking the camera icon
- Add videos by clicking the video icon
- Add tables by clicking the graph/table icon
Step four: Connect the blog post with people, places, and other GeoNet content.
Use the @ mention feature to add links to people, places, and content within GeoNet.
A few tips with using @ mentions:
- No spaces between the @ symbol and your text
- Use an underscore to connect words together, i.e. @michelle_mathias
- The more you type, the more refined the picklist becomes
- Pick your selection from the pop-up picklist
*You can also use a hyperlink to external content/web sites using the link icon in the rich text format bar.
Step five: Tag and Publish your blog
After you finish writing your blog, you need to do a few things before you publish it.
- Check the location, make sure you are in the correct place (group or space) where you want the blog to live
- Add a tag to your blog to allow for quick search/surfacing
- Under Advanced Options, you can choose to schedule your blog to post later
- Before you publish, click the Save Draft button. Doing so will allow you to see how the formatting and blog will look before sharing with everyone else. Only you can see it in draft mode. If you choose to use draft mode*, you will need to click on edit (see last image below) to update and publish later
- Lastly, Publish your blog by clicking the Publish button
If you choose to first save your blog in draft mode, select the Save Draft button as noted above. Once saved as a draft, the blog will only show up under your content view. It will not be associated with the group until you publish and select the “place” for it to publish and live ongoing.
To find your draft blogs:
Go to either All Content or Your Content (as shown in the image below), and look for Drafts in the left navigation menu. Here you will find your draft blogs. Only you can view your draft blogs.
Once you find and open your draft blog, you will need to select the Edit option in the upper right corner to continue editing your blog. Be sure to check the publish location to ensure the correct group is still selected, if not click change and search for your group.
If you choose to edit your blog post after it is published, be sure to use the Update button to re-post, never put it back into draft mode after the first time you publish, or it will break the URL links by adding in a new publish date.
If you have an approval workflow before posting your blog, we recommend that you write the blog in a word doc first. Route the word version for any approvals needed. Once approved, then open a new blog post in GeoNet and copy your blog text.
Check out GeoNet: Manage Blog Post for information on how to manage and interact with your blog post after it is published.
*for easier printing of this document, see the attached word file*