With recent updates to the Education Institution Agreements, the GIS Professional Advanced Use Type was added as the default option, versus Creator. GIS Professional Advanced User type differs from the Creator User type in the fact that it provides ArcGIS Pro Advanced licensing.
Everyone who has migrated to the new Institution Agreement (and has the GIS Professional Advanced user type as an option):
- Please switch all ArcGIS Online users to GIS Professional Advanced User Type. Instructions are listed here, and further info is below.
- If you do not assign GIS Professional Advanced User Type licenses, you will likely get a message “The number of user types and licenses assigned exceeds the number available”. The reason for this message is that users are now all GIS professional User Type licenses instead of Creator, while you may have Creator User Type licenses assigned.
Please ensure that you utilize the New Member Defaults to auto-provision licensing for new users, preferably with Enterprise Logins (SSO). Note that the GIS Professional User type does NOT include all ArcGIS Pro extensions. When you set your add-on licensing on New Member Defaults, please note that you will have to add the extensions (and not ArcGIS Pro, since it is now part of the user type). Extensions count as one of the 5 add-on apps.
Also, please note that there is an existing bug BUG-000124709 that you will not see all ArcGIS Pro extensions on the New Member Defaults option. The bug should be addressed in the October 2019 release. In the meantime, in the New Member Defaults, as a workaround please 1) deselect all add-on licenses to "Not Set" state, 2) switch user type to Creator, then back to GIS Professional, then 3) set the default add-on apps, and the extensions will appear for the new member defaults. If you are to experience issues and reach out to Esri Technical Support, please reference this BUG-000124709.
How to Change User types – documentation here:
- Login as an Administrator – Organization>Members tab.
- On the left, filter by User Type – Creator.
- Ensure that you are showing 100 members per page (maximum default currently), bottom right.
- Check the box to in the upper Left to select all Members.
- In the Upper Right, Manage User Types.
- Select GIS Professional Advanced and Save.
Changing User Types can be done in an efficient manner via an ArcGIS API for Python script, such as:
from arcgis.gis import GIS
# Update these values for your ArcGIS Online organization orgURL = "https://your-organization-here.maps.arcgis.com"
orgUser = "an_admin_user"
orgPwd = "admin_password"
gis = GIS(orgURL,username=orgUser,password=orgPwd)
# Enumerate and iterate over all users
users = gis.users.search(max_users=9999) for user in users:
# Change user type for each user
print ("Changing user type for " + user.username +" to GIS
Further feedback is welcome!