Greetings all and, if you are in the USA, Happy Thanksgiving. This “where does Thanksgiving dinner come from” story map: https://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2017/thanksgiving-dinner/ could be useful for many reasons:
1) Like many good maps, it is great for examining spatial patterns, and also for challenging some preconceived notions (did you know that Wisconsin was so prominent in growing green beans, for example?).
2) The excellent use of symbols and other cartographic techniques might be useful discussion points in geography, GIS, and cartography courses.
3) Examine the metadata--this map was created from data from the USDA Census of Agriculture. How did the data get compiled?
4) How can you create a series type of story map like this one, on your own topic of interest?
5) Use this map to spark some “spatial” discussions with your friends and family. Enjoy. And thank a farmer!