Skip navigation
All People > rwarnick@blm.gov_BLM_EGIS > Rich Warnick's Blog

Levan_Fire_Google_Earth_labels.jpg

Levan Fire (Utah) polygon Google Earth view, looking south.  The fire burned from west to east.  Google Earth's imagery has snow, which obviously wasn't there in July.

 

On July 24, 2014 at about 4 p.m. the Levan Fire ignited on the east side of Highway 28.  Driven by west winds, within hours the fire spread onto the Sanpitch Division of the Manti-La Sal National Forest and burned approximately 2500 acres.

 

The next day another 1700 acres burned, as the fire front moved east to the high ground overlooking Chicken Creek.  Then rainy weather moved in and both helped and hindered firefighting efforts.  Rain caused a landslide to dump boulders on the Chicken Creek Road east of the campground.

 

Planes (including a DC-10 and C-130) made fire-retardant drops on the first two days of the fire.  By July 28th, 20 hand crews, 10 engines, and 8 helicopters were assigned to the Levan Fire.  The cost to control this wildfire was nearly $3.5 million.

 

The final fire perimeter was approximately 4,343 acres.

 

Inciweb Levan Fire (News releases, photos and some maps)

National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) FTP site (GIS and Infrared data and maps prepared by the Great Basin Incident Command Team 3)

Twitter (Photos, maps and commentary)

rwarnick@blm.gov_BLM_EGIS

GIS for BAER

Posted by rwarnick@blm.gov_BLM_EGIS Aug 14, 2014

Levan_Fire_BARC.jpg

I just finished my second experience doing GIS for burned area emergency response (BAER).  The BAER team produces a 2500-8 burned area report, which has to be done in a short time frame after a wildfire is brought under control (usually two weeks or less).  The report recommends erosion control measures to mitigate runoff from burned areas.  A lot of remote sensing and GIS pieces have to come together quickly to meet the deadline. 

 

The USDA Forest Service Remote Sensing Applications Center produces a Burned Area Reflectance Classification (BARC) for every major wildfire.  For the Levan Fire, the post-fire Landsat 8 acquisition was a bust due to clouds but we got an excellent EO-1 image two days later.  Then we added a few polygons from field observations using the ArcGIS “Update” tool. 

 

The BARC map is just the start.  We also have to map and measure the affected roads and trails, and all streams within the fire perimeter.  Our hydrologist and soil scientist need statistical breakdowns of burn severity classes by soil type, veg type, and land ownership.  They create micro-watershed boundaries for the fire area, and these have to be analyzed in GIS to get the acreage, min/max elevation (feet), stream channel length, and mean slope (%).

 

Our BAER team used the Erosion Risk Management Tool (ERMiT) model to generate predicted erosion with and without treatment.  To provide inputs for the model, I had to break down vegetation polygons by burn severity and calculate the mean slope and slope length.  This was difficult for the Levan Fire because of the diverse and fragmented pre-fire vegetation.

 

Long story, but I came out of this recent experience with the realization that I am still not well enough prepared to do GIS for BAER.  I’d like to hear from more experienced folks about how they do it.  Time-saving shortcuts are needed.  There may be tools I don’t know about.