We recently shared a series of county-level maps showing the state of COVID-19 in the U.S. The maps show trends, days since last case, recent outbreaks, mortality, and state-level summaries. The maps are updated daily. https://go.esri.com/COVID19-US-trends-storymaphttps://go.esri.com/COVID19-US-trends-storymap
Each day's build of the Johns Hopkins University data gives us the ability to compare the trends to any of the previous days. Here are some facts we learned today regarding the past week :
Today there are:
99.50% of Americans live in a county or territory that has had at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.
91.97% of Americans live in a county or territory with a spreading or epidemic trend.
- 96 counties, 812,697 people (0.24%) have Emergent Trend
- 1074 counties, 150,334,503 people (44.74%) have Spreading Trend
- 690 counties, 158,682,332 people (47.23%) have Epidemic Trend
- 649 counties, 18,556,404 people (5.52%) have Controlled Trend
- 360 counties, 5,922,691 people (1.76%) have End Stage Trend
- 274 counties, 1,682,521 people (0.5%) yet to confirm a case.
We are slightly better off today than we were a week ago:
- 264 counties with 13,460,430 (4.01%) Americans improved their trend over the past week.
- 383 counties 12,585,574 (3.75%) Americans worsened their trend over the past week.
- Details for improved counties:
- 35 counties with 327,281 people (0.10%) improved from Emergent to Controlled Trend
- 64 counties with 4,706,559 people (1.40%) improved from Spreading to Controlled Trend
- 14 counties with 4,431,529 people (1.32%) improved from Epidemic to Spreading Trend
- Includes Santa Clara County, CA - 1.9m people
- 151 counties with 3,995,061 people (1.19%) improved from Controlled to End Stage Trend
- Details for worsening counties:
- 5 counties with 71,121 people (0.02%) worsened from Emergent to Spreading Trend
- 5 counties with 44,136 people (0.01%) worsened from Emergent to Epidemic Trend
- 107 counties with 5,146,374 people (1.53%) worsened from Spreading to Epidemic Trend
- 176 counties with 6,149,324 people (1.83%) worsened from Controlled to Spreading Trend
- 32 counties with 376,192 people (%) worsened from Controlled to Epidemic Trend
- 52 counties with 732,089 people (%) worsened from End Stage to Controlled Trend
- 4 counties with 49,041 people (%) worsened from End Stage to Spreading Trend
- 2 counties with 17,297 people (%) worsened from End Stage to Epidemic Trend