How to load an Excel file into ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
12-11-2018 11:25 AM
LisaCyphers1
New Contributor II

I can't figure out how to pull a new Excel file into my project in Pro (v2.2.4). The file lives in a folder that's linked to Pro, but there's nothing in the file when I try to preview it in the catalog pane, and no sheet to drag into the project. However, I can drag in old Excel sheets that I created in the past.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Lisa,

After looking at your Excel spreadsheet, I was able to determine the issue at hand.

According to our documentation (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/excel/work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.htm#GUID-E4C38438-93...), "field names must start with a letter".

I noticed that one specific field started with the number 30, followed by a few words. I simply changed the "30" to "Thirty", saved the document and refreshed my folder connection in ArcGIS Pro. After refreshing, I was able to click on the .xlsx file and see the underlying spreadsheet, which I could add to ArcGIS Pro.

I hope this helps!

Joe

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1

Hello Lisa! 

What file extension is the Excel Spreadsheet? ArcGIS Pro is able to support Excel 2003 and earlier .xls as well as Excel 2007 .xlsx files. You also might want to confirm that the spreadsheet is formatted correctly for use in ArcGIS Pro. Here is a link to some documentation with more in depth explanation: Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop.

If you're able to, can you provide a screenshot of the missing file in the Catalog pane?

Cheers,

Joe

LisaCyphers1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply, Joe. I’ve saved the same data 3 ways (below from my catalog): New xlsx, 1997-2003 format .xls, and .csv. The bottom screen shot shows what I see when I double-click either the .xls or .xlsx file.

I think I’ve followed the rules about format, regarding field names, etc. In fact, I had that link you sent already open in my browser! Thanks for any help you can lend.

-Lisa

Lisa Cyphers

Senior Performance Improvement Analyst

Population Health Resources

210 Cornelia Street, Suite 103

(518) 314-3578

lcyphers@cvph.org<mailto:lcyphers@cvph.org>

The University of Vermont Health Network

Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital

UVMHealth.org/CVPH<mailto:UVMHealth@uvmhealth.org>

JoeCatanzarita1

Lisa,

Thank you for the additional information! I'm not too sure why this is occurring, I'd need to dig around to see if I'm able to find a solution as to why you can't add the spreadsheet directly to ArcGIS Pro. Would it be possible for you to send me the excel spreadsheet, or is the data secure? I can give you my email if you wish to send the data.

If you're unable to send the data, or wish to try a different approach, I'd be interested to see if you're able to run the tool Excel to Table. Here is some documentation on that GP tool: Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop

Excel to Table will effectively turn your excel spreadsheet into a table that can be saved in a geodatabase. 

Hope this helps!

Joe

0 Kudos
LisaCyphers1
New Contributor II

Hi Joe,

I converted the Excel file with the Python script (thanks for sharing), but I’d still like to know why this particular file isn’t working as is. Please send me your e-mail address and I’ll send part of my file. It contains some confidential data which I’ll remove before sending.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
JoeCatanzarita1

I've just sent you a direct message containing my email address.

0 Kudos
JoeCatanzarita1

Lisa,

After looking at your Excel spreadsheet, I was able to determine the issue at hand.

According to our documentation (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/excel/work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.htm#GUID-E4C38438-93...), "field names must start with a letter".

I noticed that one specific field started with the number 30, followed by a few words. I simply changed the "30" to "Thirty", saved the document and refreshed my folder connection in ArcGIS Pro. After refreshing, I was able to click on the .xlsx file and see the underlying spreadsheet, which I could add to ArcGIS Pro.

I hope this helps!

Joe